Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The Nature of Organizations

After reading chapter one of the text, it was apparent that authors Richmond and McCroskey truly had the idea of "survival" in mind when writing it. I wish I had the opprotunity to read this before getting hired at my current job.

The distinction between different organizations such as, profit based, nonprofit and not-for-profit is made very clear. Although the differences discused revolve around how money is made and retained by a company, we must not forget the differences in employer/employee relations as well as the undertone in the office. Though each office has its own characteristics they each do maintain that certain system which makes it a work place. I presently work at a psychatrists office on the East side and everything that was explained throughout the chapter I related to. There is a hierarchy of doctors, testers, social workers, and therapists, then come the support staff.

Which then brings me to the idea of "roles", are people always hired due to their qualifications or because they simply fit the role? When I began working at the practice I was merely a freshman "peon" filing charts, then I was instructed to help out with the billing department (it was too much for one person to handle, I was told), soon after learning the ropes, the "financial department" was fired and I was hired. It did not take a genious to see where the doctors were making company budget cuts. It was cheaper for them to hire a undergrad off the books as opposed to a degree holding buisness man. Aside from my age, this allowed my status to rise, I got my own office, and now the doctors know I am in charge of cutting them their checks. I did however notice after getting to know the practitioners better, that they all have ties to NYU medical school or are Jewish. Just prime examples of how the boss has organizational culture in mind. Understanding the ins and outs of a company is helpful, but as Melissa states, buisness etiquette is important, but communication skills are key anywhere you are.

1 Comments:

Blogger IncrediblyX said...

That is exactly how everything works in the world of capitalism.

September 24, 2004 at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home